Friday, April 22, 2011

Polished Nails


Nail polish. They come in so many colours and unique names. Have you ever wonder who names the nail polishes? Essie Weingarten, the founder of Essie, shares her inspiration behind the nail polish names:

Who names the polishes?
I’ve named every polish up until now. We’ll see what the future holds…. It’s me, it’s what inspires me, what resonates. I have creative people help suggest names, and some of them are really good! But in the end, I decide. A name has to be witty and fun. It has to have personality, and it has to resonate with what I know women want.

What do you take into consideration when naming a color?
I think about a moment, or something that inspires me, like a summer vacation. Sometimes it’s an irreverent play on words, a funny story or theme. Ultimately, the names have to be memorable.

Do you see a trend in nail polish names at all?
No, nail polish names are all over the board now, and there are just so many copy cats. When we started in the nail business 30 years ago, the shades were named by number. It was very impersonal and boring. Essie was first to add the clever shade names to polish, and we made it fun! Women everywhere loved it and remembered us. It set Essie apart.

Can you name another nail polish company whose names you like or think are clever?
To be perfectly honest? No, I can’t! Nobody does it like Essie.

Favorite nail polish name?
My answer is always the same: I could never pick just one. I love all my babies!

- Essie Weingarten

Check out Essie's spring 2011 collection and share your favorite Essie nail polish.


Photo: New York Times;Unknown | Info: Fashionista.com

♥ Khou

1 comment:

Unknown said...

one of my favourite.they are superb